Tuesday, July 3, 2007

D-Day

D-Day. Yesterday (7/2), Spencer got his first vaccination shots since he was born. Four of them. This was a day we were both dreading as no one wants to see their baby in pain. We were nervous as the nurse brought in a tray of shots, ointments, and bandages. Linh held Spencer's head while I held his arms, which kind of started the crying (wouldn't you?). The first shot went in and out and no real change in Spencer's crying. But after the 2nd shot, Spencer cried a little louder and there were still two shots to go. Luckily, our nurse did it really quickly and applied band aids after each shot, two in each thigh. The whole process probably took less than two minutes but it felt like an eternity.

So I was holding Spencer who was starting to calm down. I was rocking him back-and-forth as Linh was making his next appointment in September. And he was falling asleep. I kept telling him how strong he was today and h
e slowly fell asleep. I was very proud of myself. Then in the car, Linh told me most babies fall asleep after the shots. Blech. However, Spencer woke up in the car ride home and was active for most of the evening (Linh said she thought babies are prone to sleep longer), moving his legs as if it were yesterday. Of course, the band aids reminded us to be careful, but Spencer was moving his legs trying to crawl up Daddy's shoulders. In fact, he was up every hour til around 11 am this morning, waking up (and us) constantly. His temperature reached 100.0 but with Baby Tylenol, it was between 99 and 100. The doctor told us that after shots, temps above 104 are worrisome. 104! I'd freak out at 102. All in all, Spencer is doing fine and I removed his band aids this evening after giving him a wash without a sound. His wounds are a little swollen but they aren't red and don't hurt when I touch it. Next D-Day: September 12th.

No comments: